Jo's first decoyed double

dustinyotes

Last Saturday Jo decoyed her first coyote but I could not see her most of the time when she went to the coyote and was bringing it back to me. I decided that today I was going to set up in a better spot to give me a better opportunity to she Jo work. I had a place in mind and it worked out perfect. I set up overlooking a large sage brush draw that I could see Jo no matter where she was in the draw. This is what I was looking at.

6B4C6326-06CB-479A-9C5A-9B0144E2CD26-36356-00002D69C6B87EB0.jpg

I began calling at first light with a few coyote howls and then waited while Jo was scanning the draw. This is what Jo does while I am howling.

52BB6BEC-8AF4-4EE7-AF04-FFE23692FD2A-36356-00002D69B6BFF718.jpg

After waiting several minutes I started up the caller playing some jackrabbit distress and Jo started exploring the draw running up and down and back and forth through the sage brush. After about 10 or 15 minutes of playing the jackrabbit distress on and off I shut the caller off for a few minutes, I was scrolling through my sound library and found a "coyote fighting" sound that I had never used before and thought I would give it a try. When Jo heard the coyote fighting sound she ran over to the caller to investigate what was going on and then came up and sat in front of me scanning the draw again. About the same time she sat down I saw a coyote come over the far side of the draw and stand there looking at us, Jo saw this coyote at the same time and stood up looking at the coyote. Seconds later the coyote started down the hill toward us and Jo took off running down our side toward the coyote. I was watching the coyote come and then a second coyote came over the hill following the first one. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared for my dog, my heart was pounding in my chest as all three of them met in the bottom of the draw. At first they all just stood there looking at each other but then Jo jumped a sage brush in front of her and ran to the coyotes who split up and ran around her in both directions. Again I had to force my self to just sit still and watch when I wanted to protect my dog. For about a minute or so the coyotes and Jo just chased each other around playing a "cat and mouse" game and then I thought I would tone Jo to see if she would do what I have taught her. The first time I toned her she turned and headed straight toward me but after about 20 or 30 yards she turned and went back to the coyotes. I toned her again and this time she came up the hill in a slow trot with the coyotes following her. When the coyotes were about 50 yards away they stopped and turned broadside and I shot the female and the male ran down the hill but turned to look back and I shot him.

524D13EC-15F7-4D7D-8122-93587A7C0AF9-36356-00002D69D2E663F5.jpg

AE1327E9-BAC2-4A7E-9C2D-6723A99FAFE6-36356-00002D69DCBF2310.jpg

Last time Jo would only sniff the dead coyote but this time when I was dragging the male coyote over to the female Jo was barking and kept jumping back and forth over the coyote but still didn't attempt to bite the coyotes. I don't think it's a bad thing that she isn't biting them it is just fun watching how she is changing her behavior each time she encounters a dead coyote. Hopefully I can put many more coyotes in front of her. I am very happy with how she is progressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: DasherNice job again Dustin. Are you killing any of those with either of those 17's?
smile.gif

Yes, these last three coyotes I shot with my 17 Remington. I did not have any loaded for the 17 Tac but I plan on loading some and going out again soon. I will let you know how it goes.

great read and pics, congrats on the success. PURDY dog for sure. Video can be a pain sometimes but we would love to see Jo work the coyotes. Thanks for taking us along.

Back